Share this post:

If you’re buying a property in Spain or considering it, then a frequently overlooked aspect is translations. You will need to translate many documents from Spanish into English and from English into Spanish over the course of the process.

The cost of this will certainly be in the hundreds and, without the right planning, could run well into the thousands.

In our experience of helping our clients buy a Spanish property, there is often confusion over what translations are needed and how much it will all cost.

As a result of this, we wrote a guide to using translators for buying property in Spain (which you can download in full for free here).

In the guide, we look at the stages where you will need English or Spanish translations when buying a property in Spain. Some will be for your own peace of mind; perhaps the community regulations of the development, for example, while others will be a compulsory part of the official process and must follow strict guidelines.

Once you know when you will need translations, you can budget and plan in advance, to save you time and money.

We have broken down the guide into easy to read blog posts and each week we’ll take a stage in the buying process and describe what translations are (and aren’t) needed, and how to ensure you don’t duplicate or pay over the odds for your translations.

Arrange a Property Lawyer in advance (abogado de urbanismo)

Just as you do in England, you will need to instruct a lawyer to assist and advise you when buying your property.

Use an independent lawyer, not an in-house lawyer or one recommended by the estate agent, so you know they will act in your best interests, without any loyalties to the agency or the developer.

Property lawyers are referred to as “abogados de urbanismo” or “abogados urbanistas”

Make sure the lawyer is referred to as an abogado rather than another title, as this means they have the correct authority and training. Ask for their registration number and check they are practicing members of their local bar association (colegio de abogados).

You can arrange a lawyer from the comfort of your own home in the UK, without feeling pressured to do so by an estate agent or seller, so you can trust they are completely impartial in the process.

Many abogados will speak English but make sure you are comfortable with their fluency and check with them what documents will be sent in English and what in Spanish.

Ask your abogado what documents you need to provide in advance and which of them will need to be translated. Identity documents, for example, often need to be officially translated, sometimes by a sworn translator.

Part 2

The next part of this blog looks at hiring a representative in Spain to act on your behalf using Powers of Attorney.

If you don’t want to wait, use the form below to access the full guide.

Download the full guide now

Our exclusive guide details how to plan for translations at each stage of buying a property in Spain

Rather than read every blog post separately, access the full guide now, and let us know what you think.

Just click below and enter your email to access

Share this post:

Leave a comment